Celebrate our champions through 2020 Australia Day Awards
Published on 04 October 2019
Surf Coast Shire Council’s 2020 Australia Day Awards are open for nominations, providing opportunity to recognise and celebrate community champions.
Mayor Rose Hodge hopes to see record fields of candidates put forward for Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year and Event of the Year honours.
“This is your chance to pay tribute to the volunteers, role models and inclusive events that make our communities and organisations so special,” Cr Hodge said.
“Their day-in, day-out contributions can too often go unsung, and just nominating someone is a great recognition.
“Presentation of our Australia Day Awards on behalf of the National Australia Day Council is always a highlight. Let’s make this a year of record nominations and make it really tough for our judging panel.”
Nominations for the 2020 awards close on 12 November.
People can visit www.surfcoast.vic.gov.au/ausday to find more details about the award categories, and nomination forms.
Citizen of the Year
- Demonstrated commitment to improving community;
- Volunteers, or contributes beyond normal workplace expectations;
- Provides a positive role model for others, and
- Actively addresses local issues.
Young Citizen of the Year
- Is active in youth or other community activities;
- Is a positive role model for peers; and
- Shows outstanding achievement in areas which might include academic, sport, culture, environment or civic responsibility.
Community Event of the Year
- Provided a benefit for local people, environment, tourism or culture;
- Demonstrated excellence in organising a safe and sustainable event;
- Involved people through organising or attending; and
- Reflected the spirit of what makes the Surf Coast great.
Animal rescuer Jason Cichocki was named last year’s Citizen of the Year.
Torquay Surf Life Saving Club volunteer Patrick Spinazzola was Young Citizen of the Year and Anglesea’s The Sound Doctor Presents was Event of the Year.
IMAGE: Gilbert's banksia by Natalie Martin.