Valuation objection

Suburban street

You can make a formal objection to a valuation or classification of your property within two months of the issue date on the rate notice.

You are still required to pay the rates on the due date, even if the valuation is currently being investigated.

The Valuer General Victoria (VGV) preferred (and quickest) method to lodge your objection to Council rates is via the link below:

Download the appropriate form:

Residential Objection Form(PDF, 86KB)

Rural Objection Form(PDF, 40KB)

Commercial / Industrial Objection Form(PDF, 76KB)

Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC) Objection Form(PDF, 58KB)

Return the completed and signed form to:


Fax: (03) 5261 0525

Post: Surf Coast Shire, PO Box 350, Torquay 3228

We can also refer your question to Valuer General Victoria's contract valuer.

Note that valuations are a reflection of current market prices as at 1 January 2021, and Valuer General Victoria undertakes a general valuation every year.