Merrijig Drive and Fischer Street Roundabout
- Project typeIntersection improvement
- Project scheduleWorks start Monday 17 June and planned to finish Friday 21 June 2019, weather permitting.
We’re building a new roundabout at the intersection of Merrijig Drive and Fischer Street.
This means the intersection will be closed to traffic between Monday 17 June and Friday 21 June 2019.
Check out the latest update
Residents will be able to access their properties at all times, although there may be short delays at some times.
Through traffic will be diverted along Centreside Drive, with access to the shopping centre via Manuka Street and Beachley Lane.
Local residents should put bins out as normal and leave them until collected, unless advised otherwise.
Take a look at the detours that will be in place:
Works will include construction of mountable style roundabout, pedestrian crossing refuges, a new accessible car parking space and new kerb and channel. Line marking may be done at a later date and require a separate short term road closure.
The works schedule is subject to weather and is based on long term weather forecasting.
Due to the full closure of the Merrijig Drive / Fischer Street intersection Bonney Energy have requested a once off exemption to allow the delivery of fuel to the Fischer Street Caltex Service Station at 1160 Horseshoe Bend Road, Torquay.
As Council is the Responsible Authority, Bonney Energy has been granted once off permission to deliver the fuel on Sunday 16 June 2019 between noon and 4pm pursuant to condition 24 of the planning permit.
At a glance
- The new roundabout will improve traffic flow and increase safety
- Works will be concentrated into one week to reduce impact
- The Merrijig Drive / Fischer Street intersection will be closed during works
- Local access will be maintained throughout the works
- Diversion streets will experience more traffic for one week only
- The roundabout will be mountable to allow large vehicles to turn safely
For inquiries, please contact Petar Zivkovic or Lisa Robinson on 5261 0600.
Here's an animation to show how different vehicles will use the mountable design:
Fischer Street and Merrijig Drive, Torquay 3228 View Map