- Project typeRoad works
- Project value$570,000 (including grant funding)
- Project scheduleStarts after Easter 2019
- Completion Date30 November 2019
We are about to start implementing a strategy to enhance car, bicycle and pedestrian movement along The Esplanade and Bell Street in Torquay.
Download PDF maps of the updates(PDF, 9MB)
This stage of the strategy makes safer walking and cycling a priority and supports improved links between the town centre and the foreshore. We have scheduled most of the works to start at the end of April 2019 after the Easter break to minimise the effect on traders in the area.
This stage of works will include the following key elements:
- Minor lighting upgrades at Anderson Street and Price Street intersections to support safe movement of pedestrians to the foreshore. (March 2019)
- Installation of 40km/hr zone along the Esplanade from Zeally Bay Road to Bell Street and within the Gilbert Street Precinct. This will include 40km/hr pavement marking and red pavement surfacing on gateways into the precinct. (May 2019)
- Green cycle lane treatment at key intersections. (May 2019)
- Overlay of the Esplanade including upgrading of all line marking from Gilbert Street to Bell Street to improve pavement condition, cycle lane alignments and appearance. (May 2019)
- Zebra crossings along the Esplanade and Bell Street at the following locations to support safe movement of pedestrians to the foreshore (May 2019):
- Gilbert Street
- Price Street
- Anderson Street
- Bell Street Roundabout
- Rudd Avenue Roundabout
What will this mean for locals?
- Traffic management will be in place during construction.
- Access to businesses, properties and the foreshore will be maintained at all times during the works.
- Overlay and line marking upgrade works will require the closure of parking lanes on either side of The Esplanade during construction, but one parking lane will always be open and overflow parking will be provided on the foreshore. We expect this work will take two and a half weeks and run from 29 April 2019 to 15 May 2019 (weather dependent). Parking lanes will be fully open on weekends during this period.
- Minor kerb and footpath realignment works on Price Street and at the intersection of Bell Street and the Esplanade in February will support the installation of Zebra crossings. This work will not affect parking or access. Lighting installations are expected in March and will not affect access or parking.
- We expect all works to be completed by the end of May.
These works will enhance our vibrant coastal culture by improving walking and cycle links in the heart of Torquay, and we appreciate your support and patience during this time.
The Esplanade, Torquay 3228 View Map