Councils roles in emergencies
Council has a role to play before, during and after emergency events. We work closely with emergency service and recovery agencies to make sure our community is safe and supported during an emergency event.
Before an emergency we:
- work with the community to increase resilience to emergencies.
- work with emergency agencies to develop and maintain a Municipal Emergency Management Plan(PDF, 3MB) which outlines arrangements at a municipal level to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies. The Plan includes specific sub plans for fires, floods, heatwaves and pandemics.
- conduct fire prevention works on council land and fire hazard inspections and fuel reduction programs with the community.
- work with agencies to identify and maintain Neighbourhood Safer Places - Bushfire Places of Last Resort.
- work with Forest Fire Management Victoria, Parks Victoria and the CFA to reduce fuel loads in strategically important areas.
- conduct an annual rural roadside slashing program, starting in the northern parts of the Shire and working towards the Coast
During an emergency we:
- activate emergency relief centres as needed to assist displaced people and to coordinate emergency relief services
- assist emergency services with road/tree clearing, traffic management support, animal welfare related services, volunteer coordination, and assisting the distribution of warnings and information to the public and media.
After an emergency we:
- conduct impact assessments in the impacted area
- assist in ongoing recovery activities with affected communities including clean up and infrastructure restoration, building and environmental health assessment, provision of information, management of recovery centres, and establishment and support of community recovery committees and associated programs.
State and national parks
Responsibility for the management of state and national parks rests with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
If you'd like a resonse from us, please give us your email address (we won't use it for anything else)