Filming and Photography in Surf Coast Shire


This information is about filming, including television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.

Filming activities must apply for a permit to use a public space. This ensures the activity complies with the regulations of this council. The only exceptions are filming activities for news/current affairs progamming and personal filming/photography (including filming for private events that occur on public land).

Please note: apart from Council, a range of private individuals, firms and public bodies controls locations within the Shire. It is your responsibility to contact and obtain permission from these bodies for locations they manage. 

They include:

  • Great Ocean Road Coast Committee (ph 03 5220 5055) – manages 37kms of our beaches and coastline, excluding the Bells Beach Surfing Reserve.
  • Parks Victoria (ph 03 5220 2002 – Anglesea office) – manages the balance of our coastline.
  • VicRoads (ph 03 5225 2558) – manages the Great Ocean Road itself.

For other locations (including the Bells Beach Surfing Reserve, other roads and streets and the townships excluding the beaches), start with Council (ph 03 5261 0598).

The Surf Coast Shire covers some 1560km2 of land, including over 55 km of spectacular coastline at the start of the Great Ocean Road. The area is popular, both as a place to live and to visit. Tourism is a major industry and Council recognises the important role positive promotion through advertising, film and television can play in supporting the tourism industry.

Council recognises the Victorian Film Friendly Guidelines and operates according to its principles. 

Filming Permits


Other resources