Nuisance & Pollution

noise_complaint.jpgCouncil’s Environmental Health Unit can take part in the investigation of nuisance complaints. It is important that you provide as much information as possible to assist Council officers with the investigation.


Lodge a complaint

If you want to complain about a nuisance, whether it is noise, smell, smoke, etc. we require your assistance by completing a nuisance diary. The diary, which will support the investigation, must be completed for a minimum of 2 weeks before being sent to council.

Alternatively if you which to lodge a noise complaint you can download the Noise Diary App for your iPhone free from the App Store.  Council has registered with the Noise Diary App and enables you to record a diary of noise nuisance issues, which will help provide evidence to Council about the disturbances you are experiencing.

The Noise Diary moves away from the traditional paper-based system of recording noise complaints.  This app also helps provide Council with a greater level of understanding and validity of noise issues you are experiencing.

Get the free app.

To lodge your complaint, you can contact the Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5261 0600 or submit your complaint in writing to: Surf Coast Shire, Environmental Health Unit, PO Box 350, Torquay VIC 3228.

Types of complaints
Depending on the nature of your complaint, you might need to contact the appropriate organisation directly

  • Individual noise (i.e. parties)
    For individual noise complaints after hours (i.e. parties) please contact your local Police Station.

  • Ongoing industrial or commercial related noise
    Please contact the EPA Regional Office on (03) 5226 4825.

  • Noise in relation to licensed venues
    Contact Liquor Licensing Victoria on 1300 650 367 or your local Liquor Licensing Inspector at your local police station.

  • Ongoing domestic noise
    Contact Council's Environmental Health Unit on 03 5261 0600

  • Spraydrift issues
    Contact Council's Environmental Health Unit on 03 5261 0600

  • Spraydrift issues relating to work/farming practices
    Contact the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) on 136 186.

  • Air pollution in residential areas
    For any ongoing issues relating to smoking chimney's, odours, dust or any other air pollution issues in a residential area contact Council's Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5261 0600.

  • Sewage overflows and blockages
    Contact Barwon Water on 1300 656 007

Useful links