Building permits, forms and applications

Within the Surf Coast municipality, private building surveyors issue building permits and conduct the appropriate inspections.

Any building surveyor registered in Victoria can provide this service. The following link identifies some private building surveyors operating in our area:

Local Private Building Surveyors


Building forms and applications

Select the form you want from the list below. 

Completed forms can be emailed, posted, or submitted in person.

Post: Surf Coast Shire Council, PO Box 350, Torquay Victoria 3228
In person: Surf Coast Shire Council, 1 Merrijig Drive, Torquay Victoria 3228

If you need these forms in another format please contact our Customer Service team on 5261 0600 or

Form information and links

Community infrastructure levy payment form(PDF, 291KB)

The community infrastructure levy, goes towards works such as meeting spaces, community buildings, kindergartens and library services. The community infrastructure levy is payable by the landowner prior to the issue of a building permit for a dwelling or dwellings on the site.

The maximum amount payable is $1,190 per dwelling but varies throughout Torquay and Jan Juc.

Map showing community infrastructure levy charges(PDF, 4MB)

A landowner who intends to build

  • a single dwelling on a lot affected by the Development Contributions Plan Overlay where the lot was approved after 1 August 2013; or

  • more than one dwelling on any lot affected by the Development Contributions Plan Overlay; or

  • a single dwelling or more than one dwelling on a lot affected by a section 173 agreement

is responsible for payment of the community infrastructure levy prior to the issue of a building permit. 

Building over an easement(PDF, 219KB)


An easement is a section of land to which Council, or other nominated agencies or authorities, have rights of access.

Many easements support essential services, including stormwater drainage, sewerage and power infrastructure.  When an easement is obstructed, it prevents Council staff from performing important maintenance work and blocks the flow of stormwater through flow paths. 

Council does not allow habitable structures to be built over an easement but may allow certain temporary, removable or lightweight structures.

If you are unable to modify your plans so that easements are clear, submit the application form(PDF, 219KB) to see whether the proposed development qualifies for approval.

Building and land information request

Any person may request the following information about a property, under Regulation 51 of the Building Regulations:

  • Details of any building permits or certificates of final inspection issued in the preceding 10 years

  • Information about the property’s susceptibility to flooding

  • Whether buildings in the area are likely to be subject to attack by termites.

  • Whether a property has a bush fire attack level (BAL) specified

Building report and consent application

Report and Consent is the process in which you seek approval from Council to proceed with building or construction works that may affect community assets, infrastructure or amenity.

When a building design does not comply with siting requirements under the residential code, you will need to apply for a report and consent (dispensation).

If a Report and Consent matter affects your proposal, a building surveyor cannot issue a Building Permit until you obtain Report and Consent from Council.

Consents are provided for:

  • Maximum street setback

  • Minimum street setback

  • Building height

  • Site coverage

  • Permeability

  • Car parking

  • Side and rear setbacks

  • Walls or carports on boundaries

  • Daylight to existing/new habitable rooms

  • Solar access to existing north facing habitable rooms

  • Overshadowing of secluded private open space

  • Overlooking

  • Private open space

  • Siting of outbuildings

  • Front fence height

  • Fence setbacks from rear or side boundaries

  • Fences on side or rear boundaries

  • Fences on street alignment

  • Fences and daylight to existing habitable room windows

  • Fences and solar access to existing north facing habitable room windows

  • Fences and overshadowing of recreational private space

  • Masts, poles etc

  • Projections beyond the street alignment

  • Building above or below certain public facilities

  • Flood areas

You will need to provide reasons for your application and refer to the Minister's Guidelines(PDF, 216KB) under Section 188A of the Building Act 1993

 Neighbours’ Input

When considering any application for report and consent, we take into account the impact the proposed siting might have on adjoining properties. We may also contact your neighbours for their comments, which may in turn have a bearing on our decision to approve or refuse the siting design. Here is the Adjoining Owners Comment Form(PDF, 632KB)

If we decide to refuse your application, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Building Appeals Board. Note that neighbours don’t have a right of appeal if they don’t agree with the decision.


Submit this form to request a copy of the architectural plans, structural plans, soil report, building permit, or occupancy permit relating to your dwelling.

 You can use this form to request the full building permit documentation, or just a single document.

You must be the owner, or be authorised by the owner to submit this form. 

Consent from Council may be required before starting any demolition. Please speak with the Building Surveyor handling your building permit to see if a 'Section 29A Request for Report and Consent' for demolition application is required. 

A copy of plans showing the area to be demolished will be required to complete the application form.

Hoarding permit for building works 

Hoardings and barricades are usually required to be installed around building sites, both to protect the public and to secure the site when unattended.

A hoarding permit is required prior to carrying out precautions to protect the safety of the public which involves any occupation of Council land. This may include things such as temporary fencing, hoardings, gantry’s or barricades.

If works requiring a building permit are involved, it is the responsibility of the relevant building surveyor to decide when precautions are required throughout the project and not Council.  In these cases, please consult your building surveyor prior to submitting your application to determine the suitability of precautions.

Even if no building permit is required for your works, such as painting, you may still need a hoarding permit. 


Hoarding permit - amend or extend

Use this form to make amendments to your hoarding permit, or to extend the timeline.

Legal Point of Discharge form 


A Legal Point of Discharge is the point which is specified by Council as the drain entry into Council assets. These assets may include a Council drain, kerb and channel (with kerb adaptor), easement or an open drain.

A request for a Legal Point of Discharge may be made over the counter or in writing using the Legal Point of Discharge Request form. It is necessary to know what the proposed development is so that an appropriate legal point of discharge can be determined.

Council will advise the Legal Point of Discharge in writing.


For more information on drainage, visit our drainage page.




Other information and links

For more information on specific building matters, check out the following links:

Where planning permits control siting matters(PDF, 1MB)

Victorian Building Authority - Info on pools, spas and safety barriers, smoke alarms, energy ratings, basketball rings, termites and much more.

EPA Victoria - View their publications page for info on reducing stormwater pollution for painters, gardeners, concreters and other trades people.

WorkSafe Victoria  - View details on requirements for asbestos removal and general employer/builder’s work site operations.

Archicentre -  a national provider of design, advice, assessment and inspection services to the Australian public. It offers an alternative to the developer/volume builder based approach to project delivery.

Dispute Resolution - The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) provides free dispute resolution services across Victoria, as well as training and accrediting mediators to national standards.