To inform our discussions with the community background work has been prepared, including a Background Context Report, a Strategic Bushfire Assessment and District Profiles. An overview of each of these is provided below along with links to the documents.
Background Context Report
The Background Context Report contains information to inform community discussions that will contribute to development of the Urban Futures Strategy. The report provides:
- A summary of the environmental values, risks and challenges that will constrain options available for growth;
- The identification of State government policies and requirements that inform local planning policy;
- Past and forecast population and housing growth;
- A town-by-town summary of recent residential development, current planning provisions, and constraints and opportunities on future urban growth including places suitable for additional ‘greenfield’ urban growth.
Strategic Bushfire Assessment (SBA)
The more heavily vegetated coastal and Otway Ranges portions of the Surf Coast Shire are subject to extreme bushfire risk with the potential for catastrophic threats to both lives and property. It severely limits options for future urban growth within the Shire.
State planning policy sets out clear requirements and priorities for addressing bushfire risk, by directing that the protection of human life is to be given priority over all other planning considerations.
To ensure that bushfire risk is properly considered as an input to the Urban Futures Strategy, the Shire engaged a specialist bushfire planning consultant (Kevin Hazell Bushfire Planning) to prepare a municipal wide assessment of bushfire risks.
The Strategic Bushfire Assessment classifies land within Surf Coast into one of four landscape types with differing levels of bushfire risk, with landscape type 1 being at the lower end risk and landscape type 4 a higher landscape risk.
Landscape Type Map Image(JPG, 453KB)
A profile for each of the 8 districts within the municipality has been prepared to inform development of the Urban Futures Strategy. The profiles were developed to assist with understanding the unique opportunities and constraints of different areas across the municipality.
District profiles include the following information:
- Recent population and housing statistics
- Key land use activities
- Community infrastructure, utilities and services
- Environmental hazards
- Environmental assets
- Agricultural quality (where applicable)
- Observations on future housing growth potential.
District Profile Map Image(PNG, 177KB)