About Cr Duke
First elected: 2016
Councillor Martin Duke was elected to Council for the first time in October 2016. Cr Duke’s association with the Surf Coast Shire extends back to the 1980s when he enjoyed family holidays in the area. He subsequently moved to the Surf Coast and in 1989 opened an optometry business in Torquay. Cr Duke ran this business for 21 years before selling in 2011.
Now Cr Duke works part time for GMHBA as an optical dispenser. He also teaches optical dispensing at Deakin University. He holds qualifications in aged care and disability, optical dispensing and transport and logistics.
He was a member of Torquay Commerce and Tourism for 15 years and is a past president of this organisation.
Cr Duke has three children all of whom went to local schools. He is passionate about working with young people in the shire, especially those who may be facing challenges in their lives. Community safety is another top priority for Cr Duke during this term of Council.
- Bells Beach Committee
- Chief Executive Officer Employment Matters Committee
- Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee
- Positive Ageing Advisory Committee (sub)
- Hearing of Submissions Committee
- Torquay Community Impact Advisory Committee (CIAC)
- 25% by 2020 Renewable Energy Task Force
- G21 Transport Pillar