Building permits, forms and applications

Within the Surf Coast municipality, private building surveyors issue building permits and conduct the appropriate inspections.

Any registered building surveyor can provide this service, but we do have a list of Geelong and Surf Coast surveyors who have told us they are available in our area:

Local Private Building Surveyors


Building forms and applications

Select the form you want from the list below. 

Completed forms can be emailed, posted, or submitted in person.


Surf Coast Shire Council, PO Box 350, Torquay Victoria 3228

In person
Surf Coast Shire Council, 1 Merrijig Drive, Torquay Victoria 3228

If you need these forms in another format please contact our Customer Service team on 5261 0600 or


Form information

Building Plans Request for Copy
Request a copy of the structural plans of your dwelling. You must be the owner, or be authorised by the owner to submit this form. 

Property Information Request
Determines if a property is in an area that has specific requirements under building regulations before new building can start.

Under Regulation 51 of the Building Regulations, any person may request information about a property including the following:

  • Details of any building permits or certificates of final inspection issued in the preceding 10 years

  • Information about the property’s susceptibility to flooding

  • Whether buildings in the area are likely to be subject to attack by termites.

  • Whether a property has a bush fire attack level (BAL) specified

Building over an Easement
Erect a building structure over the Council’s easement.

Building Variation Consent Form
When a building design does not comply with siting requirements under the residential code, you will need to apply for a Report and Consent (dispensation).

Consents are provided for:

  • Maximum street setback

  • Minimum street setback

  • Building height

  • Site coverage

  • Permeability

  • Car parking

  • Side and rear setbacks

  • Walls or carports on boundaries

  • Daylight to existing/new habitable rooms

  • Solar access to existing north facing habitable rooms

  • Overshadowing of secluded private open space

  • Overlooking

  • Private open space

  • Siting of outbuildings

  • Front fence height

  • Fence setbacks from rear or side boundaries

  • Fences on side or rear boundaries

  • Fences on street alignment

  • Fences and daylight to existing habitable room windows

  • Fences and solar access to existing north facing habitable room windows

  • Fences and overshadowing of recreational private space

  • Masts, poles etc

Neighbours’ Input

When considering any application for report and consent, we take into account the impact the proposed siting might have on adjoining properties. We may also contact neighbours for their comments, which may in turn have a bearing on our decision to approve or refuse the siting design. 

If we decide to refuse your application, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Building Appeals Board. Note that neighbours don’t have a right of appeal if they don’t agree with the decision.

Community Infrastructure Levy Payment Form
The community infrastructure levy, goes towards works such as meeting spaces, community buildings, kindergartens and library services. The community infrastructure levy is payable by the landowner prior to the issue of a building permit for a dwelling or dwellings on the site.

The maximum amount payable is $1,150 per dwelling but varies throughout Torquay and Jan Juc.

(PDF, 3MB)Map showing community infrastructure levy charges(PDF, 3MB)

A landowner who intends to build:

  • a single dwelling on a lot affected by the Development Contributions Plan Overlay where the lot was approved after 1 August 2013; or

  • more than one dwelling on any lot affected by the Development Contributions Plan Overlay; or

  • a single dwelling or more than one dwelling on a lot affected by a section 173 agreement

is responsible for payment of the community infrastructure levy prior to the issue of a building permit. 

Demolition Permit
Consent from Council may be required before starting any demolition. Please speak with the Building Surveyor handling your building permit for the works to see if a Section 29A Request for Report and Consent for demolition application is required. 

A copy of plans showing the area to be demolished will be required to complete the application form.

Hoarding Permit
A Hoarding Permit is required prior to carrying out precautions to protect the safety of the public which involves any occupation of Council land. This may include things such as temporary fencing, hoardings, gantry’s or barricades.

If works requiring a building permit are involved, it is the responsibility of the relevant building surveyor to decide when precautions are required throughout the project and not Council.  In these cases, please consult your building surveyor prior to submitting your application to determine the suitability of precautions.

Hoarding Permit - amend or extend
Use this form to make amendments to your hoarding permit, or to extend the timeline.


Other information and links

For more information on specific building matters, check out the following links:

Where planning permits control siting matters(PDF, 1MB)

Victorian Building Authority - Info on pools, spas and safety barriers, smoke alarms, energy ratings, basketball rings, termites and much more.

EPA Victoria - View their publications page for info on reducing stormwater pollution for painters, gardeners, concreters and other trades people.

Archicentre -  a national provider of design, advice, assessment and inspection services to the Australian public. It offers an alternative to the developer/volume builder based approach to project delivery.

Dispute Resolution - The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) provides free dispute resolution services across Victoria, as well as training and accrediting mediators to national standards.