Sales board outside new build

About building permits

Building permits are sometimes required to ensure the safety of the community when using buildings and places of public entertainment. If you aren't sure after reading this page, contact a private building surveyor or contact

Council's building department on 5261 0600.

Do I need a building permit?(PDF, 886KB)

Within the Surf Coast municipality, private building surveyors issue building permits and conduct the appropriate inspections.

Any registered building surveyor can provide this service, but we do have a list of Geelong and Surf Coast surveyors who have told us they are available in our area:

Building surveyors registered with Council

Building forms and applications

Council's forms and permits page has a number of useful building related forms including hoarding permits, demolition consent, building over easements and more.

If you need these forms in another format please contact our Customer Service team on 5261 0600 or

Permits, forms and applications

Other information and links

For more information on specific building matters, check out the following links:

Where planning permits control siting matters(PDF, 1MB)

Victorian Building Authority - Info on pools, spas and safety barriers, smoke alarms, energy ratings, basketball rings, termites and much more.

EPA Victoria - View their publications page for info on reducing stormwater pollution for painters, gardeners, concreters and other trades people.


Dispute Resolution