Australia Day community awards
On Australia Day we come together as a nation to celebrate the things that make our country great: the people, the land, our diversity, sense of a fair go, lifestyle and freedoms. We reflect on our national journey. We commit to making our country even better in the future.
The Australia Day Citizen, Young Citizen and Community Event of the Year Awards are presented annually to local citizens and groups who make an extraordinary contribution to our local community. The awards are administered by Surf Coast Shire Council on behalf of the National Australia Day Council and are issued at one of the celebratory events held across the shire on 26 January 2018.
Anyone can nominate an individual or group who demonstrates:
- excellence in their field or interest
- significant contribution to Surf Coast Shire at the local community level, and
- an inspirational role model for Surf Coast Shire citizens.
Read the following terms and conditions, then select the Apply now button to complete the nomination form.
- Check out the award categories
- All nominations must be received by Monday 12 November 2018.
- Provide as much detail as you can to help the selection panel to understand the merits of your nomination.
- A panel will assess nominations against selection criteria and recommend award recipients to Surf Coast Shire Councillors.
- Self nominations will not be accepted.
- Sitting state and federal politicians and current Councillors are not eligible for nomination.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- The decision of the assessment panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- In the event that no nominations are received in any of the categories, the selection panel reserves the right to grant the award to a group, event or citizen of its choice.
Citizen of the Year
Nominations for Citizen of the Year must be Australian citizens, over 27 years of age, who live or work in Surf Coast Shire and have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years including:
- demonstrates commitment to improving the community
- completes their contributions on a voluntary basis or exceeding the normal requirements of the person’s paid work
- accepts civic responsibility
- provides a positive role model for others
- actively addresses local issues
- is law abiding.
Young Citizen of the Year
Nominations for Young Citizen of the Year must be Australian citizens, under 27 years of age, who live or work in Surf Coast Shire and have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years including:
- is active in youth or other activities in the local community
- leads a balanced life
- shows loyalty to family/community
- is caring, compassionate and sharing
- acts as a positive role model to peers
- shows outstanding achievement in academic, sporting, cultural, environment, civic responsibility and the like
- is law abiding.
Community Event of the Year
Community Event of the Year is bestowed upon an individual, organisation or community group that has staged a noteworthy event during 2017. Events should have:
- provided a benefit for local people, the local environment, local tourism or local culture
- demonstrated excellence in organising a safe and sustainable event
- involved local people through organising or attending
- reflected the spirit of what makes Surf Coast Shire great.
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address (we won't use it for anything else)