Accommodation premises

housekeeping with towels

New accommodation businesses

Prescribed accommodation businesses (which include hotels and motels, hostels, student dormitories, holiday camps and rooming houses) must comply with the regulations in the Public Health and Wellbeing Act, and must be registered with Council.

One of our Environmental Health Officers will inspect your premises before registration approval, and then once a year before to the annual renewal process.

To get started, complete the Application to register an accommodation premises or call the Environmental Health Unit on 03 5261 0600.

Established accommodation businesses

If you are a proprietor and want to make changes to your existing premises, or wish to organise a transfer of business registration to a new proprietor please contact your Environmental Health Officer on 03 5261 0600.

Note: Short term private rentals such as holiday houses on Airbnb are not required to be registered by Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act. 

More information

Transfer an existing accommodation business(PDF, 52KB)

New business information sheet(PDF, 29KB)

Report nuisance noise and pollution