Want to be an educator?
If you are passionate about educating young children and interested in running your own home based business, you might have a future as an early childhood educator.
See what life is like as a family day care educator:
Some of the benefits of becoming a family day care educator:
- A meaningful career where you become part of extended families and feel a real sense of community.
- Help shape young children’s futures and share the joy they find in everyday things.
- Run your own business from home.
- Flexibility to set your own days.
- Earn around $75,000 per year.
- Freedom to operate with flexible learning opportunities – be out in the community and offer real life learning experiences.
- Extensive support from Council staff.
- Guaranteed hearty laughs every day!
Here are some things you will need to become a family day care educator:
- Certificate III or Diploma in early childhood education and care or be working towards it.
- Working with children check
- Criminal Records check.
- PRODA number (DHS requirement)
- Current Level 2 first aid (less than 3 years old)
- Current certificate in Anaphylaxis Management (less than 3 years old)
- Current certificate in Emergency Asthma Management (less than 3 years old)
- Current CPR (less than 12 months old)
- Public Liability insurance
- Australian Business Number (ABN)
- CRN (Customer Reference Number) if applicable
- Mandatory Reporting (e-learn – can be completed during induction period)
- Food Handlers (e-learn – can be completed during induction period)
- Computer, internet and printer
- Your house will need to pass the home safety check. If you are renting, you will need to obtain a letter of confirmation from the landlord agreeing that you are using the premises for family day care
- Family members who live at your home and are 18 or over will need a Working with Children Check and a Criminal Records check
- Equipment and resources (e.g. pram, cots, car seats, high chairs, play equipment etc)
If you intend to use your car you will need:
- Current Victorian driver’s license
- Car registration
- Car insurance 5 point safety check of vehicle - checked annually
- Approved car restraints - checked annually
For more information regarding becoming a Family Day Care educator please visit the Guide for Family Day Care Educators or contact Council on 5261 0600 or email@example.com.
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.