Want to be an educator?


If you are passionate about educating young children and interested in running your own home based business, you might have a future as an early childhood educator.

See what life is like as a family day care educator:


Some of the benefits of becoming a family day care educator:

  • A meaningful career where you become part of extended families and feel a real sense of community.
  • Help shape young children’s futures and share the joy they find in everyday things.
  • Run your own business from home.
  • Flexibility to set your own days.
  • Earn around $75,000 per year.
  • Freedom to operate with flexible learning opportunities – be out in the community and offer real life learning experiences.
  • Extensive support from Council staff.
  • Guaranteed hearty laughs every day!

Here are some things you will need to become a family day care educator:

  • Certificate III or Diploma in early childhood education and care or be working towards it.
  • Working with children check
  • Criminal Records check.
  • PRODA number (DHS requirement)
  • Current Level 2 first aid (less than 3 years old)
  • Current certificate in Anaphylaxis Management (less than 3 years old)
  • Current certificate in Emergency Asthma Management (less than 3 years old)
  • Current CPR (less than 12 months old)
  • Public Liability insurance
  • Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • CRN (Customer Reference Number) if applicable
  • Mandatory Reporting (e-learn – can be completed during induction period)
  • Food Handlers (e-learn – can be completed during induction period)
  • Computer, internet and printer
  • Your house will need to pass the home safety check. If you are renting, you will need to obtain a letter of confirmation from the landlord agreeing that you are using the premises for family day care
  • Family members who live at your home and are 18 or over will need a Working with Children Check and a Criminal Records check
  • Equipment and resources (e.g. pram, cots, car seats, high chairs, play equipment etc)

 If you intend to use your car you will need:

  • Current Victorian driver’s license
  • Car registration
  • Car insurance 5 point safety check of vehicle - checked annually
  • Approved car restraints - checked annually

For more information regarding becoming a Family Day Care educator please visit the Guide for Family Day Care Educators or contact Council on 5261 0600 or familydaycare@surfcoast.vic.gov.au.