Need the ranger?

Contact us on 5261 0600, even after hours.

Cat curfew

Cats within the shire, except the rural zone, must be confined to their owners' premises between 8pm and 6am daily. Our cat curfew is in response to community concerns about the negative environmental impact of cats on native animals, and the nuisance value of wandering animals for neighbouring households.

The curfew doesn't apply in areas zoned rural in the planning scheme as it's difficult to confine a cat to a farm, and they are often instrumental in controlling vermin.

Under the curfew, Council officers can seize cats found-at-large in any public area or outside their owner's property between 8pm and 6am. Owners have eight days to reclaim their cats.

Cat cages are available for use free of charge for a 2 week period. Please contact customer service on 03 52610600 to arrange delivery. Note: The borrower is responsible for the cost of replacement if the cage is lost or stolen whilst in their possession. 

Under the Domestic Animal Act, cats-at-large can cost their owners a fee of 1 penalty unit for a first offence and 3 penalty units for further infringements.

Responsible cat ownership factsheets and information can be found here: Cats | Animal Welfare Victoria | Livestock and animals | Agriculture Victoria

Register your cats

All cats should be microchipped and registered and must wear a registration tag. This will help return lost and wandering cats to their owners.

More on pet registration

Keeping your cat safe and happy at home

This guide is from the RSPCA advising cat owners on how to provide for their cat's welfare as well as help protect native wildlife by keeping their cat contained to their home, with safe outdoor access.

RSPCA guide to keeping your cat safe and happy at home(PDF, 1MB)

Roaming cats

Contact us on 5261 0600 to report cats roaming on public land. Council Rangers will deal with cats-at-large on Council reserves, and will refer reports of cats roaming on state-owned land to the responsible authority.