2024 Community Arts Calendar
Photo: "Peace Dove" by Clancy Morrisey, one of our 2023 Child category winners
Now entering its 25th year, the Surf Coast Arts Calendar Competition gives artists from across Surf Coast Shire the opportunity to submit their work for inclusion.
Registrations closed on Friday 15 September.
Download the full terms and conditions(PDF, 69KB)
Anglesea Arts Space
Opening event: 6PM on Friday 13 October
Open hours: Tuesday - Sunday from 10AM – 4PM until Saturday 28 October.
Collection of sold artworks and bump out will occur on Sunday 29 October.
Selection of winners
- The 12 winning entries will be selected by a panel of judges.
- The winning cover will be awarded through a People’s Choice vote that closes 4pm Saturday 28 October.
- The 13 winning artists will receive a cash prize and their artwork will be displayed in the calendar.
Terms and Conditions
In 2023 more than 100 artists entered the Surf Coast Community Arts Calendar Competition. Council recognises the significant community engagement this event and others like it generate. Our aim is to enable as many residents as possible to take part in our Arts and Creative Economy programming.
As such, to meet the increasing demand for participation we have made two key changes to the way we run the competition:
- no artwork larger than 600mm x 600mm will be accepted into the competition
- artists who have won in the previous two years are not eligible to enter.
These changes are outlined in the following Terms and Conditions document. To be eligible to take part you will be required to read and accept these Terms and Conditions when you fill out your registration form.
Failure to demonstrate that you have accepted these Terms and Conditions as part of your entry will make you ineligible.
Download full Terms and Conditions(PDF, 69KB)
- Artists who live or pay rates in the Surf Coast Shire are encouraged to enter (with the exception of Surf Coast Shire Council employees, who are not eligible to enter).
- If your work has appeared in the calendar in the last two years, you are not eligible to enter.
- Artists can submit one entry only.
- Artworks will be no larger than 600mm x 600mm.
- Artwork must be ready to hang. Work cannot be accepted if it is not easily displayable. How to prepare your work for hanging(PDF, 251KB)
- Where an artwork references First Nations Peoples or Culture, artists must demonstrate appropriate consultation with the applicable Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP), Traditional Owner consultant or First Nations organisation.
Thirteen artworks will be selected from four categories:
- Open 2D - all media (eg painting, printmaking, textiles, photography, collage, etc.)
- Open 3D (eg sculpture, ceramics, textiles) including installed works submitted as a photograph - (art which has been installed in public/private spaces).
Entries will be selected by Council’s appointed Judging Panel prior to the Exhibition Launch. The decision of the judging panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
A People’s Choice category will decide the Community Arts Calendar cover. The Cover artwork will be voted on by the community as the most popular from the remaining works.
The People’s Choice vote will take place during the exhibition period and will be determined at the close of the exhibition (4:00pm, Saturday 28 October).
Winners will be contacted by email and announced via Council’s social media channels.
All winning entries will be awarded $300
Entries open: 12:00AM, Friday 18 August
Entries close 5:00pm, Friday 15 September. No late entries will be accepted.
Works submitted for exhibition: 3:00 – 6:00pm Sunday 8 October or 10:00 – 1:00pm Monday 9 October
Exhibition opens: 6:00pm Friday 13 October
Exhibition closes: 4:00pm Saturday 28 October
Collection of Sold Artworks/Bump Out: 10 – 2pm Sunday 29 October
As in past years, Council invites community artists to sign up for a shift to mind the Community Calendar Exhibition. This is a wonderful opportunity to experience how much the show means to our community and to gain experience invigilating an exhibition.
Duties will include: opening or closing the Anglesea Art Space, encouraging visitors to vote in the People’s Choice Competition, taking sales through the Eftpos machine, recording number of visitors.
Shifts are for three hours duration from 10:00am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-4:00pm on:
- Saturday 14 October
- Sunday 15 October
- Saturday 21 October
- Sunday 22 October
- Saturday 28 October
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.