Pets and animals

Image of puppy Image of horse and foal Image of cattle

The Domestic Animal Management Plan (DAMP) 2017-21 is being developed. The DAMP will guide behaviour and actions in the management of cats and dogs. To stay up-to-date with the project, visit Surf Coast Conversations.

General info

  • All dogs & cats must be microchipped under State legislation - list of microchip registries
  • Register your dog or cat (after 3 months of age)
  • All animals must be kept secured on properties with appropriate fencing
  • The owner or occupier of any land where animals are kept (other than cats and dogs), must ensure the animals do not trespass on any council land or a road

Please be aware that Council Officers will respond to calls in relation to the removal of stray and unauthorised livestock from Council roadways and property.

Found a stray dog or cat?

  1. Report to Council (5261 0600)
  2. Report to local vet

Outside Council office hours, a vet clinic may be willing to hold an animal until Council can come collect it, but this depends on their rules and availability.

Photos and details of animals currently impounded

Animals allowed in residential areas

Council regulates the number and type of animals which can be kept on a property:

Hobby Keeping of Bees (or Beekeeping) in Rural or Farming Zoned Areas

Bees must be kept in accordance with the terms of the Livestock Disease Control Act 1994 and the Apiary Code of Practice 1997. You must also be registered with the Department of Agriculture.

Farming zones animal regulations

In Farming Zones animal keeping (other than animal boarding) must not be more than 5 animals. Other provisions apply for cattle feedlots, broiler farms, host farms, etc. For further information please view the Gazetted Farming Zone

Domestic animal businesses

Domestic animal businesses include shelters, boarders, pet shops, trainers, breeders, etc. and these businesses must be registered with Council.

Register a domestic animal business

Additional information