Container Deposit Scheme Victoria

The Victorian Container Deposit Scheme (CDS) started on 1 November 2023.

This new recycling program will increase the recycling of drink cans, bottles and cartons and reduce Victoria’s litter by up to half.

What containers are eligible for a 10c refund?

The goal is to reduce the amount of litter in our environment, so eligible containers are those that are commonly consumed away from home.

This may include beverage containers larger than 150ml and smaller than 3-litres that are made from:

  • aluminium
  • glass
  • plastic
  • steel
  • liquid paperboard

Check for the 10c mark on the drink container label. It is often located near the barcode.


What containers are NOT be eligible for a 10c refund?

While these containers are not accepted, some of them can still be recycled through your kerbside bins:

  • plastic milk bottles (put these in your yellow-lidded recycling bin)
  • wine and spirit bottles (put these in your purple-lidded glass-only bin)
  • fruit juice cartons (these go in your landfill bin)
  • cordial bottles (these go in your landfill bin)


How do I prepare containers for return?

Containers must be empty.
You don't have to rinse each container, but it must be empty and the outside clean enough that the barcode can be scanned by the vending machine.

Keep the label on and don't crush the container.
Scanners inside the vending machines will identify the shape, label and barcode of each container to ensure it is eligible for a refund. Broken bottles, crushed cans and bottles without labels will not be eligible for a refund.

Check what containers are accepted

Where can I return my drink containers?

CDS Vic collection sites are located in Torquay, Anglesea, Aireys Inlet and Lorne.

If you have a large quantity of CDS items, consider taking them to the CDS Vic Depot Breakwater (Geelong) operated by the Brotherhood of St Laurence.
The site is drive through and wheelchair accessible and is open six days (closed Sundays).

Find your nearest refund point on the interactive map.

How can I claim my refund?

There will be multiple ways to receive your 10 cent refund. You can either keep your refund, or support your favourite charity or community organisation with a donation.

Learn more about the refund options

Who manages Vic CDS?

Council is not involved in setting up or managing the container deposit scheme.

All enquiries should be directed to TOMRA Cleanaway.

This is the network operator in our region that is responsible for setting up and managing the refund collection points in Surf Coast Shire and making sure customers receive their 10c refund.

VicReturn is the scheme coordinator that will manage the finance and administration aspects of the state-wide program.

Can my club host a collection point?

Community groups, sporting clubs, not-for-profit organisations or businesses that would like to host a collection point can register their interest by contacting TOMRA Cleanaway

How does my club receive donations?

Community groups, sporting clubs, not-for-profit organisations or businesses that would like to receive donations can register their interest to be a donation partner by contacting TOMRA Cleanaway.