Torquay residential waste and recycling drop-off
Change to operating hours
Effective from 1 August 2023 the waste and recycling drop off in Torquay will be open as follows:
- 8am – noon on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday
- 8am – noon on Public Holidays (except Christmas Day)
The site will be supervised during open hours.
CLOSED: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Christmas Day.
Why are the opening hours changing?
The operating hours were set at 9am-4pm daily (except Christmas Day) as a part of a trial started in March 2022.
We also placed a supervisor on site during operating hours.
We did this to:
- prevent illegal dumping
- reduce contamination in the recycling and glass streams
- maximise recycling and recovery rates.
The new operating hours (starting from 1 August) were determined after evaluating the usage of the site during the trial period.
What’s accepted at Torquay waste drop-off?
Householders can drop off SMALL amounts of excess recycling and waste for free, including:
- Batteries – AAA, AA, C, D, button, and 9volt only
- Recyclables - paper, plastic bottles, tin and aluminium cans, plastic containers labelled 1, 2 & 5. Keep them loose – not in bags – or they won’t get recycled.
- Glass bottles and jars – no lids, no plastic bags, no cardboard boxes
- Large cardboard packaging (eg from a new fridge, furniture etc)
- Bagged general waste (1-2 kitchen-sized bags only)
- Food waste - in compostable bags only
NO green waste like branches, prunings or lawn clippings.
NO commercial waste; Businesses must take all waste & recycling to Anglesea Transfer Station.
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.