Travel exemption for bushfire preparation

Published on 07 October 2021

fire preparedness

Applications are now open for a travel exemption to undertake works on your property for bushfire preparations.

From Monday 11 October 2021, property owners living in Melboure or other restricted areas of Victoria will be able to travel to their properties to undertake permitted fire and emergency preparedness activities once they have received a permit from Council.

To be eligible for this exemption your property must be within a Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO).

Is my property in the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO)?

Who can travel to undertake bushfire preparedness works on my property?

The owner of the property and their immediate household members.

OR, if the owner is unable to travel, a nominated representative may travel to the property to carry out the works.

Can property owners or the nominated representatives attend shops for supplies to undertake the preparation?

When traveling you must comply with the restrictions in the place of your primary residence.

In some cases this means the owner or the nominated representative will not be able to visit local businesses to purchase supplies. You should travel with the tools and equipment you need.

The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.

How long can the owner remain at their property?

Owners can apply for a maximum of 72 hours from the time they leave their primary residence to the time they return.

Download more questions and answers from the state government(DOCX, 191KB)

Important information

  • Travel is for the sole purpose of carrying out bushfire preparation works.
  • You will need to show your travel exemption letter when visiting waste transfer stations in the Surf Coast.
  • Ratepayers have received your annual tip vouchers already, and will receive three additional green waste tip vouchers from mid October. Please keep that in mind if you anticipate wanting to use your vouchers when cleaning up your property.
  • You will need to carry a copy of your rates notice with you when you travel. To obtain a copy of your rates notice, create an online account or contact us via our Lodge a Request form.
  • Property owners must be able to stay overnight on their property or complete the works in one day, as staying with friends, family or at a regional accommodation provider is not permitted
  • When travelling, you must comply with the restrictions in the place of your primary residence.
  • Please allow five working days from lodging your application to receive your written approval.
  • Due to high volumes we recommend applying well in advance of your planned travel date.
  • Do not travel if you are unwell, even if you have a permit from Council.
  • Permits will be issued via emaiI, and you will be able to show authorities the permit from your smart phone.
  • If you can't receive a permit by email, we can issue a hard copy but note the postal service will take an additional three to five working days.
  • As an alternative to travelling, we encourage property owners to use local contractors where possible.

Apply for an Emergency Preparation Permit

More information

Victorian Government What to do in an emergency (for more details about Melbourne-based landowners visiting Regional Victoria)

Fire Prevention Notices

A Fire Prevention Notice is different to this bushfire preparedness permit.

Fire Prevention Notices are issued when Council’s Fire Prevention Officer identifies, through an inspection, that there is a fire risk that requires the attention of the landowner.

Council programs these inspections to occur in late Spring, and so Fire Prevention Notices are unlikely to be issued before late November.

Tagged as: