The Surf Coast Shire Council has prepared Amendment GC183 to the Surf Coast Planning Scheme and the Golden Plains Planning Scheme to implement the recommendations of the Stage 2C Surf Coast Heritage Study.
Land affected by the amendment
The proposed amendment applies to all land affected by a Heritage Overlay (HO) in the Surf Coast Shire, and specifically affects:
- Bellbrae Cemetery Monumental Masonry, 65 School Road, Bellbrae (HO6)
- Ballanclea Homestead, 250 Ballanclea Road, Barrabool (HO7)
- Berramongo, 100 Crooks Road, Barrabool (HO8)
- Foymount Homestead, 795 Barrabool Road, Barrabool (HO9)
- Merrawarp Homestead, 50 Honeys Road, Barrabool (HO10)
- Stanbury Barn, 130 Devon Road, Barrabool (HO12)
- Tasman Homestead, 755 Barrabool Road, Barrabool (HO13)
- Wescott’s Stable, 850 Barrabool, Barrabool (HO14)
- Scammell House, 24 Pride Street, Torquay (HO16)
- Colonial Bank, 33 Main Street, Winchelsea (HO19)
- St Thomas Anglican Church and School Room, 31 Barwon Terrace, Winchelsea (HO20)
- Winchelsea Uniting Church and Manse, 30 & 34 Hesse St, Winchelsea (HO21)
- Murdeduke Homestead, 730 Cressy Road, Winchelsea (HO24)
- Wormbete Homestead including Outbuildings and Gardens, 565 Winchelsea-Deans Marsh Road, Winchelsea (HO25)
The proposed amendment also applies to:
- Pollocksford Bridge, Pollocksford Road, Gnarwarre (Surf Coast Shire) and Stonehaven (Golden Plains Shire). The bridge is partially located in two municipal council areas: Surf Coast Shire and Golden Plains Shire.
What the amendment does
In the Surf Coast Planning Scheme the amendment proposes to:
- Apply a Heritage Overlay to the Pollocksford Bridge, Pollocksford Road, Gnarwarre and include the place in the schedule to Clause 43.01 (Heritage Overlay).
- Include a new Incorporated Document containing heritage citations for 14 properties subject to an existing Heritage Overlay and the Pollocksford Bridge.
- Introduce internal controls and external paint controls to identified properties.
- Introduce additional application requirements for certain permit applications required under Clause 43.01 (Heritage Overlay).
- Amend Clause 02.03-5 (Built environment and heritage)
- Amend Clause 15.03-1L (Heritage conservation) to introduce detailed strategies to guide decisions where a planning permit is triggered under the Heritage Overlay.
- Make associated minor mapping, correctional changes and policy changes.
In the Golden Plains Planning Scheme the amendment proposes to:
- Apply a Heritage Overlay to the Pollocksford Bridge, Pollocksford Road, Stonehaven and include the place in the schedule to Clause 43.01 (Heritage Overlay).
- Include a new Incorporated Document containing the Pollocksford Bridge heritage citation.
View a quick snapshot of the amendment
Instructions for viewing amendment documents(PDF, 68KB)
Explanatory Report(PDF, 566KB)
Instruction Sheet(PDF, 301KB)
Surf Coast Planning Scheme Documents:
Clause 02.03 Strategic Directions(PDF, 203KB)
Clause 15.03 Heritage(PDF, 203KB)
Schedule to Clause 43.01 Heritage Overlay(PDF, 376KB)
Schedule to Clause 72.04 Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme(PDF, 160KB)
Map No 5HO(PDF, 527KB)
Map No 8HO(PDF, 397KB)
Golden Plains Planning Scheme Documents:
Schedule to Clause 43.01 Heritage Overlay(PDF, 242KB)
Schedule to Clause 72.04 Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme(PDF, 152KB)
Map No 28HO(PDF, 527KB)
Pollocksford Bridge Heritage Citation(PDF, 365KB)
Stage 2C of the Surf Coast Heritage Study, Barrabool, Torquay, Bellbrae and Winchelsea, Victoria Volume 1: The Report(PDF, 5MB)
Stage 2C of the Surf Coast Heritage Study, Barrabool, Torquay, Bellbrae and Winchelsea, Victoria Volume 2: The Heritage Citations(PDF, 5MB)
Surf Coast Shire Council Meeting Minutes 28 September 2021
You may also view a copy of the proposed planning scheme amendment at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
How to make a submission
Any person who may be affected by the amendment may make a submission to the planning authority about the amendment. Submissions must be made in writing giving the submitter’s name and contact address, clearly stating the grounds on which the amendment is supported or opposed and indicating what changes (if any) the submitter would like to see made.
The closing date for submissions is Monday 13 December 2021. A submission must be mailed to the Coordinator Strategic Land Use Planning, PO Box 350, Torquay VIC 3228 or lodged by completing the online form below.
Background to the amendment
Council engaged consultants Ecology and Heritage Partners in February 2019 to undertake the next stage of the heritage study (Stage 2C). This involved cultural heritage assessments of the 14 places that are included within heritage overlays within the Surf Coast Planning Scheme that do not currently have a statement of significance. These assessments will support the existing heritage overlays and provide a basis for assessment of any future planning permit applications. Additionally it also included a cultural heritage assessment of the Pollocksford Bridge, Gnarwarre.
The study was completed in June 2019 and updated in July 2020. The consultant’s reports (Volumes 1 and 2) are available for viewing. Volume 1(PDF, 5MB) discusses the methodology of the study, and the findings and recommendations, and Volume 2(PDF, 5MB) provides a citation and statement of significance for each property.
The reports were received and noted by Council at its meeting on 23 July 2019.
Council resolved to implement the recommendations in the Ecology and Heritage Partners reports at its meeting on 25 August 2020.