Swimming pool and spa register
Register to ensure safer pools and spas
Register your pool/spa HERE!
Lodge your pool/spa barrier Compliance Certificate HERE!
Lodge your pool/spa barrier Non-Compliance Certificate HERE!
View list of Pool Inspectors
The Victorian Government has introduced legislation requiring property owners, including landlords, to register pools and spas with Council.
The new regulations, which came into effect on 1 December 2019, will aim to improve safety by ensuring that pool and spa barriers meet required standards.
The regulations include:
- Mandatory requirement to register pools and spas with local councils
- Mandatory safety barrier inspection and certification
- A process for dealing with barriers which do not meet safety requirements, and
- Fees for initial registration, and for lodgement of certificates of compliance and non-compliance.
All owners are required to register their pools and spas immediately. However, if you have lodged a Building Permit with Council since 1 December 2019, then Council will register this on your behalf when your Private Building Surveyor submits your Certificate of Final Inspection.
Electronic registration is still open.
As part of the new registration process, pool and spa barriers will need to be inspected by a registered private building surveyor or inspector. Upon registration, Council will advise you when this independent inspection is due.
The inspectors will issue certificates of compliance or non-compliance, which owners will need to then lodge with Council.
Certificates of non-compliance will need to be acted upon.
The State Government has provided guidelines for the fees for registration, and fees for lodgement of certificates. Council adopted these fees based on these guidelines at its Ordinary Council Meeting on 10 December 2019.
- Registration fee $31.85
- Document archive request fee $47.25 (this fee will not apply if a building permit or certificate of final inspection is supplied at time of registration)
- Compliance certificate lodgement fee $20.45
- Non-compliance certificate lodgement fee $385.10
- Other infringement penalties may apply for late registration, late lodgement of certificates, or other infringements
The legislation sets staggered deadlines for lodging of compliance certificates:
- For pools and spas built on or before 30 June 1994, lodgement by 1 November 2021
- Built between 1 July 1994 and 1 May 2010, lodgement by 1 November 2022
- Built on or after 1 May 2010, lodgement by 1 November 2023
Inspection compliance certificates will then be required to be lodged with Council every four years.
Owners wishing to do their own initial safety assessment can be guided by the following Victorian Building Authority checklists:
Owners having work completed on an existing safety barrier, other than basic maintenance like replacing a hinge, are likely to require a building permit to alter the barrier.
Any work to alter an existing barrier will need to comply with the current regulations.
View our Frequently Asked Questions for further information.
Aztec Building Inspections (Michael Jukubzik)
Phone: 0414 557 632
Coastal Compliance (James)
Phone: 0431 739 460
Complete Pool Inspections (Anthony Halligan)
Phone: 0458 050 881
Greater Geelong Building Inspections (Filipe Vitorino)
Phone: 0413 415 969
Pete's Pool Inspections (Peter Davidson)
Phone: 0401 356 787
Phillip Griffiths Building Inspections
Phone: 0407 204 200
Pool Safe Inspections Victoria (Brett Fitzmaurice)
Phone: 03 8609 0366
Stonehenge Consulting Pty Ltd
Phone: 0406 317 229
PO Box 7262, Geelong West, VIC 3218
Phone: 0401 412 283
Swimming Pool Compliance Inspections (Ben Spiteri)
Phone: 0448 153 252
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.