Weddings on Council land - regulations

  • The permit holder must have a copy of this permit available for presentation to a Council Authorised Officer or Police
    Officer, if required.
  • The permit holder occupies and uses the area identified or otherwise referred to in the permit at the permit holder’s own risk. The permit holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified the Council, its servants and agents and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, arising from activities which are directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the permit holder and their guests.
  • This permit only entitles you to hold your wedding ceremony on the Shire reserve and does not give you exclusive rights to the area. Members of the public have the right to use the reserve while your ceremony is in progress.
  • The wedding must only be conducted during the time, date and in the area specified (permit area Map 1) in this permit. Two hours is the maximum time period allowed for weddings.
  • The permit holder is at all times responsible for the good order, conduct and behaviour of people arranging, assisting and attending the event.
  • No vehicles, including the bridal car, are permitted on the permit area.
  • Guest parking must be compliant with local laws signage.
  • The permit holder must ensure that the event area and surrounding area is kept free from rubbish and that waste is removed from the event area at the conclusion of the ceremony. Only rice may be thrown in the permit area – no paper confetti permitted.
  • The permit holder is responsible for any damage to Council property, trees or shrubs. All damage will be repaired at the permit holder’s cost.
  • It is the responsibility of the permit holder to comply with all laws including local laws, and to ensure that employees and other persons associated with and attending the wedding also comply.
  • Amplified musical instruments are strictly prohibited. The use of a battery powered devices to play background music is permitted provided the sound level does not disturb other reserve users.
  • No marquees, tents or other shelter structures are permitted on the reserve. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to have a contingency plan/venue for unfavourable weather.
  • Consumption of alcohol in public places in the Surf Coast Shire is prohibited. However, you may be able to obtain a permit to serve a wedding toast. This permit is granted by the Surf Coast Shire (no fee). Refreshments must be served in plastic glasses. Please indicate in your application if you wish to serve a toast. Infringement notices apply if alcohol is consumed without a permit.

Back to Weddings on Council land