Pools, spas and safety barriers


All pools and/or spas must be registered with council. Use the Pool/Spa Registration form to complete your registration.

For more information on how and why you need to register your pool and/or spa, visit our Pool Registration page.

Inflatable and temporary pools and spas over 30 cm in depth are subject to the same registration and pool barrier standards as permanent pools and spas, under Victorian legislation outlined on the Victorian Building Authority page.

A building permit is required for the construction of all pool and spa safety barriers, and for all types of pools and spas capable of holding more than 300mm of water in depth. A building permit is also required if you are installing new or altering any part of a swimming pool or spa safety barrier (other than maintenance of hinges, latches, etc)

Specific regulations apply to pool and spa barriers, fences, gates, catches, latches and self closing devices. They must meet Australian standards which are outlined on the Victorian Building Authority page.

All safety barriers must be well maintained to ensure children are restricted access to the pool and spa area - Infringements apply to pool and spa barriers that have not been maintained.

The property owner/or occupier have a duty of care to ensure all bodies of water on their property are safe. Safety barriers are not required for bird baths, fish ponds, fountains, dams and water storage tanks unless they are principally used or adapted to be principally used for swimming, wading, paddling, bathing or similar activities.