Glass bottles and jars without lids go in the glass-only bin with the purple lid. Use this bin for ALL glass bottles and jars from your home.
You can receive a 10c refund for some bottles through Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic), but it is not a replacement for your kerbside glass-only bin.
Not every glass bottle (and no jars at all) are eligible for a 10c refund, but they are welcome in your glass-only bin.
What's accepted in my glass-only bin?
Remove ALL lids from these empty bottles and jars:
- Beauty products e.g. foundation, face and eye creams
- Beer, wine & spirits
- Chutney and relish
- Coloured bottles and jars e.g. amber, clear, green
- Condiments such as Dijon, wholegrain mustard etc.
- Cough syrup
- Crushed ginger and minced garlic
- Curry paste
- Instant coffee
- Jam and honey
- Olive oil
- Pasta bakes and sauces
- Sauces e.g. tomato, barbecue, hoisin, fish, satay etc.
- Spices e.g. oregano, rosemary, chicken salt
- Spirits e.g. whiskey, gin, tequila
- Wine bottles
Broken glass bottles and jars are also accepted in the glass-only bin.
All containers must be empty (drain any liquids from bottles and scrape out food residue from jars).
Labels can be left on. Metal collars (like on wine bottles) can be left on.
Remove all lids and put in bins as follows:
- Large plastic lids (from jars of Vegemite or peanut butter) go in your recycling bin (yellow lid)
- Large metal lids (from jars of jam) and caps off beer bottles go in your recycling bin (yellow lid)
- Small plastic lids (smaller than a credit card) go in your landfill bin (red lid) because they get jammed in sorting machines at the recycling facility
- Aluminium lids from wine bottles go in your landfill bin (red lid). They're not magnetic so magnets on the sorting line don't pick them up.
What's NOT accepted in my glass-only bin?
X Aluminium cans
X Bags of household rubbish
X Cardboard boxes (these go in your recycling bin instead)
X Drinking glasses (broken or whole)
X Food waste
X Light globes and tubes (take e-waste to a transfer station)
X Mirrors (broken or whole)
X Plastic bags
X Plastic drink bottles
X Plastic containers
X Pizza boxes
X Pottery e.g. plates, mugs, bowls etc.
X Window glass (broken or whole)
X Window glass in frames
Can I get a different size or extra glass-only bin?
You sure can.
- There is no cost to downsize bins.
- If you would like an extra glass-only bin there is a yearly fee.
- If you would like a larger glass-only bin, there is a once-off fee.
View the form and costs
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.