When you put things into your landfill bin, they don’t just go away; they get trucked off and put into the ground at Anglesea Landfill.
If you’re a GOOD SORT, you might be surprised by how much you can avoid putting into your landfill bin.
- Don’t bag it! Waste can go into your bin loose.
- Know exactly what can go into your organics and recycling bins, and keep those things out of landfill.
- E-waste (that's anything with a plug or battery) is not allowed in landfills. Find out what to do with e-waste
- Any bags or extra waste sitting beside kerbside bins won’t be collected.
- We accept some things at our transfer stations free of charge.
What's accepted in my landfill bin?
✓ broken crockery, glass and mirrors
✓ plastic bags, garbage bags, clingwrap and other soft plastic packaging
✓ coffee pods (check to see if you can recycle yours somewhere)
✓ polystyrene and foam, including meat trays, cups and packaging
✓ used dish cloths and sponges
✓ baby wipes
cotton buds and dental floss
✓ sanitary and incontinence products
✓ kitty litter (wrapped)
✓ rags, clothing and shoes that cannot be repaired or reused
ropes, hoses and strapping
What's NOT accepted in my landfill bin?
X electrical items or appliances (these are known as ‘e-waste’)
X batteries e.g. from watches, electronic items or car batteries
X lightglobes and tubes
X hazardous or medical waste such as sharps or sharps containers
X large pieces of timber
X concrete, bricks, asbestos or building rubble
X hot ashes
X items too big for the bin
X soil or rocks
X garden waste that can go in your organics bin
X items that can go into your recycle bin
Can I get a different size or extra landfill bin?
You sure can.
There is no cost to downsize bins.
If you would like an extra or larger landfill bin there is a yearly fee.
View the form and costs
FAQs about the landfill bin
If you'd like a response from us, please give us your email address.