Council provides access to beach and all-terrain wheelchairs so people with a disability can enjoy our beaches, oceans and trails.
You can book these wheelchairs for free.
Just be sure to book ahead because they are very popular. See details on the chairs and where you can book them from below.
For general disability access enquiries please contact Council’s Access Officer on 03 5261 0591.
The Sandcruiser has large balloon-like tyres which make for easy access on soft sand and in shallow water and is ideal for people who have limited mobility. It's recommended by the Therapeutic Goods Association and is also recommended by Disabled Surfers Association of Australia. For further information about the Sandcruiser Beach wheelchair visit www.sandcruiser.com.au
- Hire of the Sandcruiser wheelchiar is free; however, the hirer must read the safety procedures and be provided with instructions for use by Go Ride A Wave staff prior to using the wheelchair
- A Loan Agreement and Indemnity Agreement must be signed prior to using the wheelchair
- Bookings are essential and can be made by contacting Go Ride A Wave on 1300 132 441
- Loan of the chair should be made by phone at least 24 hours in advance
- The wheelchair can be booked for an entire day between the hours of 9am and 5pm every day except Christmas Day
TrailRider all-terrain wheelchair
This all-terrain wheelchair allows users to get out in the great outdoors and explore some of the Surf Coast's most stunning parks and reserves. The one-wheeled chair is a cross between a wheelbarrow and a sedan chair. The wheel supports the rider's weight while the handles at the front and the back allow two, three or four helpers (or sherpas) to guide the rider up and down tracks.
The chair can be booked for free!
- Call the Surf Coast Sport and Recreation Centre on 5261 4606 to book.
- You will need your own bicycle helmet and two or four fit sherpas
Please note: the level of access the TrailRider can achieve in parks & reserves is determined by the number, strength and level of fitness of people operating the chair. The TrailRider requires a minimum of two reasonably fit people (one at each end of the chair) to enable a passenger to travel in the chair. It is recommended that four people, plus the passenger, operate the TrailRider on more testing terrain.
Conditions of use and booking form(PDF, 73KB)
If you'd like a resonse from us, please give us your email address (we won't use it for anything else)