Local plants

Indigenous plant

1. Local Plants

Locally indigenous plants are the best choice for gardens, reserves and roadsides to help improve biodiversity within the Surf Coast Shire. To find out more about plants suited to your area you can use our Indigenous Planting Guides.

Indigenous Planting Guide - Rural(PDF, 944KB)  

Indigenous Plant Guide - Urban(PDF, 577KB)

Surf-Coast Shire soil type zones(PDF, 328KB)

ANGAIR Summer flowers guide(PDF, 2MB)

ANGAIR Autumn flowers guide(PDF, 3MB)

ANGAIR Winter flowers guide(PDF, 1MB)

Surf Coast Shire Alternative Plants Guide(PDF, 1MB)

2. Landscaping your Surf Coast Garden for Bushfire

As a property owner you have an important role to play in reducing bushfire risk by the way you design, develop and maintain your property.  Council has developed a video and the Landscaping your Surf Coast Garden for Bushfire(PDF, 2MB) booklet to help.

3. Roadside management

Did you know well-managed roadsides contribute to road safety, fire prevention, protection of the environment and flood management? Council manages road reserves with all these things in mind.

Roadside Management Strategy(PDF, 513KB)

Code of Environment Practice for Works on Rural Roadsides(PDF, 457KB)

Roadside Management Prescriptions Index(PDF, 45KB)

Roadside Management Prescriptions(PDF, 425KB)

Remnant Roadside Vegetation of the Surf Coast Shire(PDF, 1MB)

4. Collection of firewood

You may not collect firewood from just anywhere you see it lying around. Native vegetation, including fallen timber, is protected on all roadsides within the Shire. Take it illegally and you could get fined.

Residents can get a permit to collect firewood from a designated site within the Otway Forest Park. For more info contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) on 136 186.

5. Foraging on Council owned or managed land

You are not allowed to remove native plants from Council owned or managed land for any reason such as foraging for food, cutting firewood or the collection of flowers. Native plants, including their seed, roots, tubers, leaves and flowers, provide vital habitat and food for our native animals and are protected by law. For more information see Council’s Local Amenity Law and the Victorian Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988. Note that fines apply for the removal of native plants from Council land.

Information on growing your own bush foods in your garden can be found on sites such as the Australian Plants Society (Victoria) and CERES .

Caution: Council may use herbicides, insecticides and inorganic fertilisers on land it owns and manages. Plants on Council owned or managed land may be affected by the use of these products.

6. Can I collect seaweed from Surf Coast beaches?

All seaweeds are protected in Victoria, including seaweed washed up onto beaches and seaweed in the ocean. The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) can issue permits to collect limited amounts of seaweed from beaches outside of our national and marine parks such as the Point Addis Marine National Park and the Great Otway National Park. The Yarram Office for DELWP is responsible for issuing Seaweed Collection Permits for ALL coastal areas in Victoria. The permit fee is $1.80 per square metre and conditions apply. You can contact the Yarrum Office for DELWP 03 5183 9100 between the hours of 10am and 3 pm to purchase a permit. Penalties apply for collecting seaweed without a permit and from beaches within national parks. If you require further information contact DELWPs Marine and Coasts Branch

Useful links