Council allocates $88,000 for major and community events
Published on 01 March 2019
Council will distribute a total of $88,000 in grants to support major and community events across the municipality in 2019-20.
Council’s Event Grants Program recognises the significant role events play in shaping the shire’s identity, prosperity and vitality. Last year, over 320,000 people attended an event, festival or market within the Surf Coast Shire, with an additional audience of 40 million seeing our region showcased through broadcast coverage of major events such as the Rip Curl Pro and Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race.
Events are also important in building connections, promoting social inclusion and enhancing the health and wellbeing of our local community.
“Council has run this funding program successfully for five years,” Mayor Rose Hodge said.
“It is important to recognise how much events bring to our communities in social and economic terms, and their ability to increase visitation during off-peak periods.
The major events grants include:
- Deans Marsh Festival $10,000
- Kids Adventure Outdoors, Anglesea $10,000
- Surf Coast Century & Trail Running Series $10,000
- The Sound Doctor $7,500
- Afterglow Night Run $7,500
- Art of the Minds $5,000
- Australian Indigenous Surfing Titles, Torquay $5000
- Festival or Performing Arts, Lorne $5000
- Surf Coast Trail Marathon $5,000
- Sprint Series Adventure Race $3,000
- Wonderfalls Trail Run $3,000
Notable Community event grants include:
- Angair Wildflower & Art Weekend $3,000
- Love Winter in Aireys, Anglesea $3000
- Sun Bear Children’s Festival, Anglesea $3000
- The Kite Festival $3,000
- 10th Annual Bells Beach Surf Film Festival $1,000
- Deans Marsh Dog Trials, Lorne $500
- Festival of Colours, Winchelsea $500
Submissions for the 2020-21 Event Grants Program will open in September.